The Plain and St. Clements
Travelling down High Street and over Magdalen Bridge you reach The Plain, a roundabout with a Victorian fountain from which roads lead to St. Clements and Headington, Cowley and Iffley.
St. Clements is a bustling, fast growing area where small modern infill developments blend with older houses, including Stone’s Almshouses founded in 1700.
From St. Clements the road passes some of Oxford’s biggest public parks, South Park and Headington Hill Park, where fairs and circuses are held. Headington has a shopping centre and identity of its own.
Oxford Brookes University, is a central focus on Headington Hill, and it now includes the old Pergamon Press building, originally designed for Morrell the local brewer. Also in Headington is the John Radcliffe Hospital.
The Headington Road leads onto the A40 to London.
Taking the middle road from The Plain, Cowley Road is the preferred place for trendy non-conformists, both old and young, with a cinema, music venues, tattoists, and many good ethnic shops.
At the far end of the road, William Morris, later Lord Nuffield, opened his first car factory at Temple Cowley, which was until recently Oxford’s largest employer. Cowley itself has a large shopping centre at Templars Square.
For more informaton on shopping in Oxford, please see our shopping pages.
The area between Headington, North Oxford, Summertown and St. Clements – close to them all. It is the choice of many visiting academics and doctors because the John Radcliffe Hospital is situated there. Old Marston Village has period, stone and thatched cottages.